Bhubaneswar: In a rapid electrification program launched by government of India under the under Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojna (DDUGJY) after Prime Minister, Narendra Modi’s address to nation, on Independence Day, Government of India has decided to electrify remaining 18,452 un-electrified villages across India within 1000 days that is by May 1, 2018. The project has been taken on mission mode and strategy for electrification consists of squeezing the implementation schedule to 12 months and also dividing village electrification process in 12 Stage milestones with defined timelines for monitoring.
The State of Odisha also benefits from this program. According to the data released by government of India, Odisha had 2210 un-electrified villages as on March 31, 2016. Since April 1, 2016 to April 30, 2016 government has managed to provide electricity to 35 villages in the State. Data also suggests that there are 70 ongoing projects of electrification in the state till April 30, 2016.
Status of Rural Electrification in Odisha
Village Electrification (Nos.)
- Total inhabited villages in Odisha (as per Census 2011) – 47677
- Un-electrified Villages as on 31.03.2016 – 2210
- Villages electrified during 2016-17 – 35 (01.04.2016 to 30.04.2016)
- Balance Un-electrified villages as on 30.04.2016 – 2175
- Villages to be electrified through grid – 1480 (Awarded-855, yet to be awarded-625)
- Villages to be electrified through off-grid – 275 (Sanctioned-196, In-principle sanction-79, Awarded-6)
- Uninhabited villages – 420
The initiative taken by government of India is one of its kind to provide essential services to villages since India achieved its independence.